Wednesday 21 January 2009

Skjoldehamn neck flap

At last I found the time to check back to the lively discussion about the closure of the Skjoldehamn shirt on pearl's livejournal. The discussion already made another webmaster put up more and larger pictures, so it is high time I post my promised photo.

Here you have the neck flap, in colour, with the bead as closure and the broken loop of wool thread that probably served to hold the bead:




If I remember correctly, the bead is made from metal. Here's an even closer closeup, where you can see that it is not a leather thong, but a woolen braid or something similar that holds the bead to the flap.



And finally, in the last picture, you can see the upper left part of the flap, with the braiding running along the edge. The stripes can be seen clearly here.



I took the photos myself; please respect copyright rules when linking to or using them.

10 comments:

pearl said...

Thank-you so much. You really are spoiling me! :)

I do feel guilty that I can't offer anything in return. If there's anything you think I might be able to help with, just ask.

Anonymous said...

Thankyou, I've been wondering about the stripes in the collar for years. (they only show up very faintly in the black and white shots that are in most publications).

Anonymous said...

That is wonderful! Thank you so much for posting your photos. Not only does it help with the 'bead question' but it really brings out the beauty of the arrangement of the striped cloth.

Anonymous said...

I echo the thanks. These are wonderful photos. In fact, I said in another discussion that I would like to see color photos of the shirt, and lo! here they are!

Anonymous said...

You are all very welcome. I know how it feels not to get more and better information on a garment.
For the Skjoldehamn finds, at least we can all hope on Dan Halvard Lovlid's thesis for a good new documentation of the garments.
And yes, the stripes in the fabric are beautiful. When I saw the pieces, I was absolutely stunned by how well the colours have kept: I was firmly expecting the usual soil-brown of the normal archaeological find.

Teffania said...

Oh, lovely photos, thankyou!

I think I can see two colours on the cord near the bead. I can almost see the pattern on the cord in the collar photos. No joins visible, so it must be at least a moderately long cord. It taunts me with the feeling I could almost identify the technique (unreliablyand inconclusively I'm afraid) if I saw it closer.

a stitch in time said...

Yes, it is taunting. Unfortunately, that is the most I can make out of the photo I took, no more detail to be had. If I needed to make a try at sewing a copy/reproduction, I would try to identify and then use the braiding pattern that was used in the braid around the flap, since both is roughly the same colour and at the same garment.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Just commenting with an update.
I've summarised the information about the hood and the shirt, and uploaded it to here:
http://www.medieval-baltic.us/skjold.html

Let me know if you're alright with me thanking you in the credits, since it is a very poor article. I can remove your name if you'd like.

olblou said...

Gorgeous photos, thank you so much for sharing!

Viking Mom said...

Any idea or comments of the origin? There is some discussion whether he/she was a Saami or Viking.